Brighten up dull pens by personalizing them with a few colorful art supplies. You can make a neon pen by drawing a design on a colorful piece of printer paper. Pom-poms add flair to pens colored with yarn and tape. If you’re ambitious, try constructing a flower pen with its own flower pot. If you don’t want to make your own pens, you can always order some from a design company. Personalized pens are fun to keep, but they also make for great gifts.
EditCreating Colorful Pens
- Use clear pens that you can open. Since you will need to put the paper inside the pen, choose pens that have a clear body. Blue and black ballpoint pens tend to work well and you can usually find packs of these pens at dollar stores or general stores. Make sure they have an end you can pull out or unscrew to take them apart.
- Print a design on decorative paper. Visit an office supply store to choose some colored printer paper. You can use a computer program like PowerPoint or Photoshop to create a design to fit inside the pens. This can be anything, such as a repeating pattern of lines, shapes, or even a custom-designed graphic.
- You can make pens with your name on them, for instance. Instead of printing a design, print or write your name on the paper. Try using a custom stamp.
- You can also draw a design on the paper. Colorful markers or gel pens can make your design stand out more.
- Cut the design paper into strips that fit inside your pen. Use scissors to break your design down into thin strips you can fit inside your pen. An approximate size is about long and wide. This creates enough strips for a whole pack of pens.
- You can use a desktop paper cutter to cleanly cut the paper. Be careful when handling the sharp blade and keep your fingers away from it.
- Remove the pen’s end cap to take out the ink tube. Pry of the end caps on the clear ballpoint pens with your fingernails. If you can’t remove the cap or the ink container, you may need to unscrew the other end of the pen by twisting it counterclockwise. Slide the ink tube out of the pen’s casing.
- For retractable pens, you usually do need to unscrew the pen’s front end. Set the spring aside in a safe spot for now.
- Roll the paper around the ink tube. Take a strip of paper, then wrap it around the ink tube. Make sure the design is facing outward. Smooth the paper down into a tight, flat roll around the ink tube.
- Put the pen back together. First, place the ink tube roll inside the pen. The paper should fit in there without any problem. Next, close the pen’s ends by replacing the end cap. You should be able to admire your awesome design through the plastic casing.
- If the paper doesn’t fit inside the chamber, it may not be flat enough. Remove it, then try rolling it around the ink tube again. Cut the strip more if you need to.
EditMaking a Pom-Pom Pen
- Purchase pens without side clips. Smooth plastic pens work best, although you can use any pen if it doesn’t have a plastic clip. If your pen has a plastic clip, you may be able to break the clip off to decorate the pen. Pull it back and it should snap off without much trouble.
- Wrap yarn around the bottom third of the pen. Choose a roll of yarn in a color you like. Wrap the loose end above the triangular cap containing the pen’s nib. Depending on your pen, this may be plastic or metal. Then, wrap the yard around the pen repeatedly until it reaches about ⅓ of the way up the pen and knot it in place.
- Measure the amount of fabric tape needed to wrap around the pen. You can find rolls of fabric tape at most craft supply stores. Pick a pattern you like, then measure the amount of tape you need by comparing it to your pen’s size. You need enough tape to cover the remaining ⅔ of the pen.
- You can use a ruler to measure the length and width of your pen.
- Instead of using tape, you can wrap more yarn or twine around the rest of the pen.
- Cut the tape to size. Cut the length of tape you need according to your measurements earlier. You will most likely need to cut a second, equal length of tape, since most tapes aren’t wide enough to completely cover the pen.
- To see if you have enough tape, wrap the pieces of tape around the pen. Avoid peeling back the adhesive backing until you’re ready to apply the tape.
- Wrap the tape around the pen. Lay the pen in front of you, then cover the exposed top side of the pen with the tape. Peel off the backing, wrap the tape around the pen, and press it flat with your fingers. Flip the pen over and finish covering it by applying the second piece of tape.
- Spread some craft glue over the pen’s end cap. Get some craft glue from the craft supply store. Spread the glue over the pen's back end using a foam brush. Apply only a thin layer so it doesn't drip.
- If your pen has a clicker at the end, make sure it is up. Use the glue sparingly to avoid getting the clicker stuck.
- Glue a pom-pom to the pen’s end. Pick out a colorful pom-pom at the craft supply store as well. Spread a little glue on one side, then press it against the glue-covered end of your pen. It should stick in place right away, but it’s a good idea to set the pen aside for at least 3 minutes to let the glue dry. Then go test out your fancy pen!
- If your pom-pom won’t stick, try tying some yarn to it. Knot the other end of the yarn around the pen, then glue the pom-pom in place.
EditCreating a Flower Pen
- Pull the end cap and ink tube out of the pen. You will need a clear, plastic pen. Ballpoint pens work best, but check to make sure you can open them from the back. The end cap covers the pen’s back, blunt end. You can pry this piece out with your finger. Set it aside, then slide the ink tube out through the opening.
- If you can’t remove the end cap, you may be able to pry it off using a knife. Be careful and keep the blade pointed away from you.
- Spread some super glue around the pen’s tip. Start at the pen’s open end. Place a small dot of super glue directly on the plastic, near the rim. Avoid getting any glue inside the pen.
- You can find the super glue, pipe cleaner, and other supplies at a craft supply store.
- Wrap green pipe cleaner around the pen. Curl the pipe cleaner around the pen’s rim. Twist it as tightly as possible around the pen’s case. Make sure you press the pipe cleaner into the glue.
- Instead of pipe cleaner, you can use green floral tape. Wrap it tightly around the pen. You won’t need glue for this.
- Continue wrapping and gluing the pipe cleaner to the pen. Twist the pipe cleaner down and around the pen in a tight spiral. Cover the plastic completely. Every time you bring the pipe cleaner around the pen, add a drop of glue underneath it.
- Glue a pair of plastic leaves to the pen if you want. For some extra decoration, give your flower pen a few plastic leaves. Place them above the pen’s nib, near the bottom of the pipe cleaner. Add a drop of glue to the leaves, then push them between the pipe cleaner. Position 1 on each side of the pen.
- Cut a plastic flower to fit on top of the pen. Pick out a stylish plastic flower you like. You can find a bunch of different varieties at craft stores. Carefully snip off the stem using scissors or a wire cutter. Leave a little bit of stem on the flower’s base to fit inside the pen.
- You may need to cut off more later. Place the flower in the pen’s opening to check this before you glue it in place.
- You can also glue the flower onto the side of the pen. Push it into the pipe cleaner like you did with the leaves.
- Glue the flower to the pen and let it dry for 30 minutes. Spread a thin layer of super glue around the flower’s base. Set it on top of the pen, pushing the stem down into the opening. Then, set the pen aside in a safe location. Wait at least 30 minutes for it to dry.
- To fit the flower more securely, try a hot glue gun. Spread a thin layer of glue around the flower’s stem, then press it into the opening.
- Fit Styrofoam into a round container. Find a round container, such as a pencil holder, a coffee can, or mason jar. You also need a piece of Styrofoam that fits snugly inside the container. Buy this at a craft supply store, then push it down into the container.
- If the Styrofoam doesn’t fit, cut it to size using an X-Acto knife or box cutter.
- Instead of Styrofoam, you could fill the container with river rocks.
- Stick the pen in the container. Push the pen’s tip into the Styrofoam. If you push it down far enough, the pen will stay standing after you let go of it. You may need to push it down a little more to make it perfect, but you now have a beautiful flower pen you can use anytime.
- Make a garden by decorating the container further. Try gluing leaves to toothpicks and placing them in your container to create grass.
EditOrdering Personalized Pens
- Find a place that prints customized pens. Search for personalized pens online to quickly find many companies that let you design and print your own pens. You may also be able to find printing services in your area if you want to place your order in person.
- Choose a style of pen you want. Browse around the print company websites to see what pen styles are available. Most places usually offer a few options, including regular ballpoint pens and fancier engraved pens. Select a type of pen to begin personalizing the design.
- Engraved pens usually include your name or a company name. Ballpoint pens can have a printed logo or image.
- Customize your pen’s design. Decide what you want displayed on the pen. This can be your name, a company’s name, or even a small image. Select one of the templates available, then type in the information you want displayed on the pen. Use the tools to change the font color, size, and other aspects.
- You can customize a pen design from scratch. You can also send the company your own design for printing.
- Finish ordering the pens. Review your design and finalize it when you’re happy with it. Confirm your order by indicating how many pens you want. Submit your shipping address and payment information to complete the order.
- You may need to place a minimum order, such as 100 pens, before your pens can be made. This information will be displayed on the company’s website before you place your order.
- Have fun! Get creative and use lots of different materials to make unique pens.
- These pens can be customized and given as gifts.
EditThings You’ll Need
EditCreating Neon Pens
- Decorative printer paper
- Gel pens
EditMaking a Pom-Pom Pen
- Fabric tape
- Craft glue
- Foam brush
EditCreating a Flower Pen
- Round container
- Green pipe cleaner
- Super glue
- Plastic leaves
- Plastic flower
EditSources and Citations
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
source How to of the Day https://ift.tt/2vqlHCi